- period of application: from 14 December 2021 to 28 February 2022 (for non E.U. citizens residing abroad, UNIPI scholarships available)
- deadline for pre-enrollment at the Embassy/Consulate: to be verified by the students
- deadline for enrollment: September 30th, 2022 (late enrollment by December 31th, 2022)
- beginning of semester: mid-September, 2022
- International rankings
- Degree programs taught in English
- How to apply: NON E.U. CITIZENS RESIDING ABROAD
- How to apply: E.U./E.E.A./SWISS CITIZENS OR NON E.U. CITIZENS WITH A RESIDENCY PERMIT IN ITALY
- Financial support and further information
The University of Pisa, founded in 1343, is amongst the top institutions in the main international rankings. According to the latest Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2020 the University of Pisa is ranked between 151st and 200th in the world and 4th in Italy. According to the QS World University Ranking 2021, the University of Pisa ranks 383rd worldwide and 4th in Italy.
The master’s degree programs offered by the Computer Science Department require a solid background, high motivation, and hard working attitude.
In addition to a first-level Bachelor’s degree, applicants must have a good knowledge of English (intermediate level, B2 Level in the European Framework for foreign languages).
Attendance at courses is not mandatory. Part-time students, however, experience lower success rates in exams and longer time to graduate. We greatly recommend students to regularly attend lectures and to successfully complete the courses each semester.
Our graduates are highly sought after in the job market. This is the reward for their commitment and motivation.
- Computer Science: Concept abstraction, problem solving, formal modelling, mathematical reasoning and main concepts on computer programming are essential characteristics that you should possess. Students shall not underestimate this advice: statistics on students’ careers show that 1/3 of students gives no exam during the first year, and 1/4 withdraw within the first year. Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s degree with at least 72 ECTS (Italian equivalent CFU) credits in the computer science courses (INF/01 or ING/INF-05 sectors) or in mathematics or physics courses (MAT* or FIS*) of which at least 36 in the computer science courses (INF / 01 or INF / ING-05) and at least 18 credits in mathematics or physics courses (MAT * and FIS * sectors), or an equivalent non-EU first-level University degree satisfying analogous requirements.
- Computer Science and Networking: Applicants must possess a first-level Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or Computer Engineering, or Telecommunication Engineering, or equivalent qualification degrees subject to be verified by the admission jury.
- Data Science and Business Informatics: Concept abstraction, problem solving, formal modeling, mathematical reasoning, and basic concepts on computer programming and databases are essential characteristics that you should possess.
The annual fee for an international student depends on the nationality.
Anyway, for most international students the amount is not very relevant with respect to the living costs.
- For applications submitted before February 28th 2022, the University of Pisa offers 24 scholarships to the top twentyfour international students among all degrees. Each scholarship will consist of:
- First year of course: 6 thousand euros net and exemption from University fees
- Second year of course for Master Degree: 8 thousand euros net and a reduction of 50% of the University fees if the student has obtained at least 36 ECTS with an average grade of at least 25/30
More info at UNIPI SCHOLARSHIP
- DSU, the Tuscan regional board for the right to university education, provides scholarships including free accommodation and meals. Beware the scholarships are often assigned after the beginning of the first semester and sometimes towards its end. Please, notice that the board is independent from the university and our offices do not provide support to prepare the application. More info DSU scholarship
- Our master’s degrees are part of the “Invest your Talent in Italy” scholarship programme which is aimed at supporting students coming from the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Colombia, South Corea, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ghana, Kazakhstan, Mexico, People’s Republic of China, Tunisia, Turkey, Vietnam. Scholarships are awarded to students accepted by the Master’s degree programme and are funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI). For application visit: www.postgradinitaly.esteri.it
See the students section of the University of Pisa website for information on University fees, student facilities, Italian educational system and much more.
See the welcome and support section for information useful to incoming foreign students.