What to do

Before leaving

Students must contact both the Subject Area Coordinator and the International Relations Office and inform them of their arrival date, the period of time they intend to spend in Pisa, whether they wish to attend an Italian language course.
  Students must fill in the standard ECTS forms and send them to the Subject Area Coordinator.
  Under no circumstances should students forget to bring the following documents with them:

  • their Passport or Identity Card;
  • Six passport-size photos;
  • The European Health Insurance Card or EHIC (formerly the E111 form) for health service;
  • A statement by their home institution certifying their ERASMUS/ECTS student status;

On arrival

Students are requested to:

  1. contact the Subject Area Coordinator
  2. the Subject Area Coordinator will give them further instructions on enrolment and on filling out a Registration Application Form
  3. take the European Health Insurance Card or EHIC (formerly the E111 form) to the A. S. L. (Azienda Sanitaria Locale/local branch of the National Health Service, Via Garibaldi), where a certificate entitling to medical treatment will be issued. Students may also stipulate a private insurance policy or be enrolled in the National Institute of Social Insurance -I.N.P.S.- by paying a certain sum of money;
  4. report to the local municipality (Comune di Pisa, Via degli Uffizi, 1) and apply for a “Temporary Residence Permit”. The latter will be issued upon presentation of a statement given them by the Subject Area Coordinator, four passport-size photos and one xerox copy of the student’s Passport or Identification card.


ERASMUS/ECTS students are exempted from the tuition and enrolment fees.

ERASMUS/ECTS students do not register for a whole Course of Study, but rather for individual courses of lectures. Before applying for Registration (see below) they must fill in the Application Form with the Courses of lectures they wish to attend and the related examinations they intend to take (see the Courses of lectures). Hence, it is advisable that they consult the Pisa Subject Area Coordinator before presenting their Application – should any course not be available as foreseen (in case of sabbatical leave for example).

Morover, students should be aware that when in Pisa they may be attracted by courses different from those originally chosen. Hence, it is expedient for them to fill in the Registration Application Form listing a greater number of examinations than they actually plan to take, in order to have a greater range of possible choices. Students should discuss their needs and preferences with their own ERASMUS/ECTS Departmental Coordinator and their Tutor(s) at their home Institution before leaving their country. The final choice must be approved by the Coordinators of both the home and the host Institutions, in order to finalise the student’s ECTS Learning Agreement.

Registration Procedure

In order to obtain the student record book and University credentials, the ERASMUS/ECTS students must connect to Alice (the online portal to student services), access RESERVED AREA and perform REGISTRATION.

After completing registration you must send an email to international@unipi.it to get an appointment, in order to complete enrollment to the University of Pisa.

On the appointed day, you must go to the International Relations Office, 44, Lungarno Pacinotti, Pisa, at opening hours, in order to collect: – the student record book
– credentials to have access to the University net
– information on getting a canteen card

See for details: http://erasmus.unipi.it/index.php?tab=inc


The Subject Area Coordinator counsels and advises the incoming students.

The student booklet

A “Student Booklet” (“Libretto”) will be issued to ERASMUS/ECTS students by the International Relations Office. Courses of lectures attended and examinations taken are recorded in the “Booklet”.
  Before leaving, students must report to the Subject Area Coordinator, in order that the official Transcript of Records can be made.
The “Booklet” is also the student’s pass to Libraries (see above) and to the University Refectory. A temporary pass may be given to the student while the “Booklet” is being prepared.